Superfood of the week is Acai Berries! What is açaí, anyway? Found on açaí palm trees in South American rainforests, açaí berries are a lot like grapes. The seed takes up about 80% of the berry, but the flesh and skin pack plenty of vitamins and other nutrients in the remaining 20%. Not to mention the berries are only about 70 calories a cup.
Acai Berry History
The acai berry was originally used in the Amazon jungle to treat a variety of ailments. Some tribes use this berry exclusively in their diet, and they live long, healthy lives. In short, the medicinal benefits of the acai berry are nothing new. It’s just taken a while for the American public to catch on to how potent this berry really is.
The tribes of the Amazon discovered that taking the acai berry regularly helped improve their immune system. When eating the berry regularly, they got sick less often, felt more energetic, and fought off numerous medical conditions. They even used the berry to make wines for everyone to drink. The more they took the acai berry, the more benefits they realized the fruit could produce.
Where Does Acai Berry Grow?
The acai berry is grown on large palm trees in the Amazon rainforest. In the past, members of the tribe would climb up the tree to fetch the berries. However, once everyone discovered the medicinal benefits of this berry, it became mass produced. The acai berry was then sent by boat to markets throughout the world.
It wasn’t until just a few short years ago that the acai berry was introduced to western civilization. It was first found in energy bars, juices, and other health snacks. Once everyone in America learned of the unique properties of the berry, they began demanding more of it. This is when acai berry supplements started to hit the market. Since the advent of these supplements, the acai berry has been featured on many of the top TV talk shows such as Oprah and Rachael Ray Show. Now that you know about the acai berry history, aren’t you ready to take advantage of its numerous health benefits? Here is why to eat this fabulous superfood:
Top 9 Acai Berry Benefits
- Weight loss – One of the most desirable benefits of Acai Berry supplements weight loss. With Acai Balance you can flush up to 25 pounds of waste and toxins.
- Increases Energy- Our active lifestyles leave us drained of energy. Many of us don’t get enough sleep, and we walk around all day like zombies. This creates serious long-term medical conditions. Thankfully, Acai Berry helps improve your overall energy. You can rest better, and wake up more refreshed in the morning. Acai Balance is especially effective at boosting your metabolism.
- Improves Blood Flow- Poor circulation can lead to numerous medical conditions (clotting, balding, and heart issues.) Acai Berry supplements work to improve your blood flow, thus staving off many serious ailments. Improved circulation makes you feel better and live longer.
- Healthier Skin- The berry contains many unique properties that work to make your skin look and feel younger.
- Stronger Heart- Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in America. From lack of exercise to poor dietary habits, our hearts endure a lot of stress. Acai Berry supplements give your heart the nutrients it needs to work properly.
- Better Concentration- Another of the seemingly endless benefits of Acai Berry is the improved mental clarity it produces. In a way, this goes back to the circulation benefits. With better blood flow, your brain is able to operate more efficiently.
- Reduced Cholesterol- When you think of lowering your cholesterol, you probably recall images of eating healthy foods that taste terrible. Acai Berry supplements save you the trouble of eating tasteless oats. This berry will lower your cholesterol significantly over time.
- Detoxifies Body- Acai Berry contains several antioxidants that work to eliminate harmful substances from your body. Throughout our life, our body absorbs many damaging substances. Acai Berry works to eradicate them, and to make your immune system stronger than ever before.
Because açaí berries can spoil within a day, the best ways to buy them are frozen (like) or in powdered form. This amazing berry comes in abundance as an additive in foods and beverages so it is easy to find if you have the fortitude to read labels!
Happy Healthy Eating! Dana